Reason #4 ~ He is very social.
My husband has a TON of friends and that's mainly because he enjoys being in large groups. I think this comes from being raised with a very large extended family that spends a lot of time together. He enjoys having people over and loves going to your house to visit just as much. If there is a social gathering, he's coming if he can. He's gone to MANY kids birthday parties, something a lot of men avoid like the plague, because generally he knows one or two parents going so its a chance to visit with them. He doesn't enjoy parties where he doesn't know anyone, like most of us, but as long as he knows a person or two he's happy and generally makes a new friend or two as well.
He prefers to have people around all the time. Any time we plan something he wants to invite others along with us, we've had to really talk about setting limits and making sure there is family time w/o others as well as plenty of time for friends. So we try to balance the two things and from time to time we get too lopsided one way or the other and try to correct.
There are several reasons why I like his socialness...the first one is because he has drawn a lot of people into our lives. He joined a fraternity in college and I never expected that we would BOTH make life long friends because of it. Actually I can't even begin to count the friendships I've made over the years that started with their connection to my husband.
The second reason is little harder to explain...I am a social person but I am also very reserved and have a hard time starting friendships. When we go to parties I want to chat with the one friend I know and that's it! And in the early days when myhusband was the only one I knew I wanted to hang onto him and not let go....but he would wander off and leave me to my own devices. There were several fights about this in the early years. BUT eventually I did get to know people and got better at meeting knew people, making friends and so on. This is still something I have to really work at...it doesn't come naturally but these skills have really helped me make some great friends/connections with people. I've been able to add to my friend list by getting to know the parents of the kids in my daughter's classes, especially her favorite friends AND I've even become friends with her teachers well!! And this has helped her make great connections with some wonderful girls. When we were planning her birthday party I said I had to know the mommy....and that still left a whole lot of friends to include if she wanted!
So his...and now our socialness has add real richness to our lives!!!
1 comment:
I could see how this would have caused friction in the beginning. Wow, hindsight is 20-20, isn't it?
Post a Comment