Sunday, April 26, 2009

Reason #2

Reason #2 ~ He has taught me a lot about forgiveness.

My husband and I don't fight a lot because we both hate fighting and try to avoid if at all possible but like most couples there have been more then a few in our time together. I am not good at fighting mainly because I can't get my thoughts out during the argument...its partly the dyslexic thing, not being able to get the thoughts in my brain out of my mouth...but also because I try to listen and think over each argument before responding....that doesn't work well when your angry and yelling at each other. So I stew about the fight for along time afterward wishing I had said X or coming up with counterpoints 15 min. after the actual argument has taken place. Eric on the other hand, just says what he needs to say, makes counter arguments as needed and then he's done. And when I say he is done I mean he is done, he'll argue until he feels like he's made his point and then that's it...argument over. I stay angry for a long time afterward but for him 10 min. and he's back to normal. This is all very, very annoying lots of the time BUT it has taught me an important lesson about letting go of the anger. What good does it do me to be angry for a day or two over...well whatever...honestly how many things in your life have truly been worth being angry about for days? Not many!

He is often the first to say "I'm sorry" but he also holds me accountable to apologizing to him when I'm wrong or out of line. I really hate that!!! BUT again it is good too, hard on my ego but the right thing to do. In our house if you apologize for something the other person responds with "your forgiven" not "its ok" because usually if you have to apologize for something whatever you did wasn't "ok" and by saying "your forgiven" you have to truly let go of the hurt or anger that was inflicted on you and that's a much healthy way of living...letting go. And that includes us, when we are out of line with the kids we apologize to them directly. So they are learning the lesson of apology & forgiveness right from the start.

Its not a lesson I've enjoyed learning but it has made our marriage and our family a much healthier one.

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I think I am more like Eric here, but what a gift he has given you, and more importantly, what a great lifeskill you are together teaching your girls.