Friday, September 19, 2008

Shaking in my flip flops

My oldest's school has this very cool program called Family Friday. Every Friday a family member comes into class with their child and are taught a mini-lesson...basically you are learning about what your child is learning only more importantly you are shown HOW they are learning it. So when you are at home doing homework with your child you can use the same teaching strategies they are using at school which makes learning much less confusing then when the teacher shows them how to do math one way and mom & dad another. We started it last year in Kindergarten. I really love the program and think it is awesome. Last year the PE came by and interviewed a few parents about it and video taped us as well, I was one of the ones interviewed. This year our first grade teachers have continued the program. A few weeks ago I was asked by the school Principal to speak about Family Friday in front of the school board, I said a very nervous yes. I spoke last Tuesday and it went great. The Principal, VP, and other teachers attending all said I did a great job. One of the teachers turned to Ms. Karr (my daughter's Kinder teacher) and asked...did you write that for her? Ms. Karr said NO, she's the English teacher she didn't need my help! :) I was a part of a larger group presentation about cool programs at the school and I was the only one with an actually prepared speech, the teachers spoke off of a PowerPoint presentation. I did a lot of deep breaths and worked hard to keep the nervous wiggle out of my voice. All in all the presentation went well and I didn't embarrass myself or the school! :) But I was sure shaking in my flip flops that night!!!!

No comments: