Thursday, September 25, 2008

I HATE Thursdays

Normally Thursdays suck because my husband rides his bike home from Irvine (a 35 mile bike ride) so he can condition for the MS 150 Bike Ride. He doesn't get home until 7-7:30pm...Honestly most days I'm exhausted by 2pm so making it to his usually 5-5:30pm is hard enough but add another 2 hours and you've got trouble brewing. I totally support him in doing the ride and I'm not mad, bitter, or angry about it....it just makes my day much longer that's all.

But this Thursdays sucks more then normal. Yesterday my little one got a note sent home from her teacher saying she "had a difficult time listening today. She often needs encouragement to join The Team." So I called in this morning to get more info since she won't be back at school until next Tuesday and I want to make sure we have a long talk about how she should or shouldn't behave at school. So her teacher said yesterday she had a hard time settling at nap time and that usually she can calm her down by rubbing her back for a bit but yesterday she wasn't having it and (according to my daughter) spent time in the naughty chair. The teacher went on to tell me that the comment about joining the team is because most days during circle time instead of sitting and listening she is running around doing whatever she wants and that several other students then join in, then they have to spend time getting her redirected and then getting all the kids she has led astray get redirected which wastes time. Basically my daughter is a trouble-making ring leader....oh my! Honestly its not all that surprising even if it is distressing. I've said before that my oldest is independent but she is independent in the "I want to do it myself" way. My youngest is also independent but in the "I want to do whatever I want, whenever I want" way. We have to tell her 5 times to do something before she'll listen IF she listens and when she gets the naughty spot at home 90 % of the time its for being a bad listener. Also I saw this behavior in last years class and asked her teacher about it, her comment was she's just 3 its normal. So now she's spent a whole year in a classroom setting getting away with this behavior so not surprisingly she assumes its ok in this classroom as well. But it is frustrating for this mommy.

I was extremely emotional this morning after the phone call....1. because I'm tired (my own fault for staying up late blogging and reading) and 2. Its always hard to hear that your child is anything but wonderful. So I am letting myself be sad/emotional about it today and tomorrow I will start problem solving.

So then I get home from bible study and errands around 1:30pm to a message on my answering machine that my oldest is in the nurses office and is starting to run a fever and needs to be picked up. I frantically head off to the school wondering why no one called my cell. When I got there the nurse was already gone but apparently my daughter went to the nurse complaining that her stomach hurt so the nurse took her temp and it was 99.2 and awhile later she took it again and it was 99.8 so she called. Ok I get the her temp was going up but in general I wouldn't call 99.8 a fever and when I felt her she wasn't even warm. I asked why they hadn't called my cell and she said the nurse calls all the numbers on the card so I asked to see the card to verify what numbers were on there...home and cell plain as day, and so the receptionist said "she always calls all the numbers" ok so maybe the call didn't go threw...could you have tried more then once...the reason I'm so annoyed by this is because my daughter sat in the office, for I don't know how long, after already sitting with the nurse for I don't know how long, while I am lolly-gagging around town wasting time until she gets done for the day. I could have picked her much earlier if I'd gotten the call. One of the reasons a woman decides to be a stay-at-home mom is so she can be there when her child is sick or not feeling well....ok,ok, i need to let this go now.

Anyway, she came home got some Tylenol curled up on the couch and watched TV for an hour or so and drank 4 glasses of OJ. Ever since then she has been fine and playing like normal, we'll see what happens when the Tylenol wears off but so far she seems fine. My youngest was sick earlier this week so I was afraid it was that but she also got her flu shot yesterday so it could easily be that as well. I'll give her more Tylenol before bed and see how she feels in the morning, hopefully she'll be able to go to school.

No comments: