Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Vacation fun

Remember when you were in school and when you got back from vacation your teacher would make you write the dreaded "What did you do over vacation" essay? I would always have a hard time answering this one because the minute I was back at school I completely forgot all the stuff I had done! Katie is off-track for the month of March and we have lots of fun planned, nothing huge just lots of day trips but I want to remember them so when Katie's teacher asks her to write about her time off we can go back and look here and remember. Plus I am hoping this will get me into the habit of posting on my blog daily or close to at least. So since today is Wednesday I'll need to back track just a little.

Monday ~ We got up early (ugh on our first day free from the alarm clock too) and went and had donuts, yum! Then we went to Disneyland!!! We just recently renewed our passes and we are super excited to use them again! We met my mom, Lisa & Grant, and Diana, Ari, & Aiden in California's Adventure right when the park opened. We had so much fun! There were almost no lines and we walked on almost everything. My mom bravely offered to watch all 5 kids while the mommies went on California Screamin'...it was fun to just be a teenager on a roller coaster again, even for just a few minutes (thanks mom). Katie got to be the Honorary Scuba Diver on Jumpin' Jelly Fish and Ali & Grant got to be Honorary Rocket Controllers on the silver rockets (dunno their real name), all 3 got cool stickers. Ari was sad she didn't get one as well and Grant was a good and kind cousin and let her have his! Good job Grantsy (and mama for teaching your boy how to be a good friend/cousin). Later Lisa, Diana, & kids headed home and we waited for daddy to join us. We headed over the Disneyland. Just as daddy was getting their we saw Alice & the Mad Hatter (these are daddy's favorite cartoon characters) and Cinderella's fairy Godmother and got picture with each, yeah! We hit Small World first...have you seen it since they fixed it up after Christmas? There are Disney characters that look like small world dolls throughout the ride, its fun to find them all. Then headed to Toon Town. When we got passes we made Katie promise she would try one new ride every time we went. Katie has a very, very hard time trying new things but especially rides.....we could go to Disney and never go on a ride, just see parades, shows and the like and she would be happy. But we are trying to help her work through her fears and this is one way we are trying. We decided to do the Roger Rabbit ride which none of us had been on in years! She made me promise not to spin us and chanted "its not scary" the whole ride but she made it through! We played around for a bit and mom headed home. Eric has wanted to take the girls on the monorail the last few times we've been but it hasn't happen so we made sure to fit it in this time. So this counted as 2 new rides for Katie and she tried to work up lots of fear but we talked her down and both kids really enjoyed the ride. By now I was exhausted and it was time to go. We were tempted to stay for Fantasmic but none of us had the energy for it so we headed home. It was a great day from start to finish.

Tuesday ~ Another day off and another day up early! Ali still has preschool even when Katie is off and since I'm paying for it, she goes! :) As you've read Ali likes to take Katie to school in her jammies whenever possible and now that the tables are turned Katie wants to do the same. We took Ali to school and Katie plotted what we would do with our time together. I had to take care of a few things and Katie still needed her shower but after that the day was mostly hers to plan. First she wanted to play a game of UpWords (she really wanted Scrabble but I thought this would be easier for her) and we did that for about a half hour but didn't finish, it was harder then she thought it would be and we both kept getting really hard letters. Then she wanted to read a book. She was already half-way through Junie B Jones: Dumb Bunny, so I read the second half to her, seriously even I giggle through a Junie B book! Lastly she wanted to watch cooking tv, something we both enjoy! We picked up sister from school and then Dad & I had a surprise for the girls......we headed BACK to Disney to go see Fantasmic! We all bundled up and I packed drinks, bought kettle korn in downtown Disney and found a second row seat for the show. The kettle korn, a trip to the bathroom, and taking a bunch of goofy pictures with the kids killed the hour wait. Both kids loved the show...Ali was on my lap and every time something would happen she'd shout WOW! Gotta love the magic of Disney! We headed home and put our sleepy girls to bed.

We are off to more fun today and hopefully I'll write about that tonight!

1 comment:

Rachel Slagle said...

wow you've been busy! you're going to be exhausted by the time school starts again. i'm glad that you guys are having tons of fun.

i love fantasmic! one time a friend and i waited two hours for it. we brought a blanket to sit on and played cards with some other people who were waiting too.