So today was the day that we finally, FINALLY get Katie's cast off. We've been So excited we've been counting down the days, and every time someone would say "when does it come off" we'd say TUESDAY!!!
Katie spent last night at Grandma Sue's house so she got to do the last bath with her arm wrapped in a bag (yeah!). This morning Ali & I got up and got her to school then I needed to make a quick trip to Wal-Mart for some groceries we needed. On my way my mom called to tell me Katie had a nervous tummy and had thrown up this morning. She was also running a little warm.
Stupid, stupid mommy, I KNOW better but I still made a classic Katie mistake...never, ever, EVER make too big a deal out of something, she just gets herself all worked up and ends up making herself sick! She's done this at Christmas at least once or twice now and for other things too...just too much build up to a big day. And remember I've posted before about her not doing "new" well....well guess what she was really nervous about Physical Therapy, another big mistake on my part...I've said she would need to go, discussed it with the adults around her but didn't explain it to her, just another thing to get worked up about. *sigh*
So mom meet me at the house as planned around 10am and I spent some time loving her and calming her down and trying to get to the root of nerves...and explaining what PT would be like and that it wasn't today...her mood improved considerably!
By 11:30am we were in the office getting the cast cut off and after confirmation of x-rays her arm was deemed "great", yeah!! She was brave and didn't flinch when getting it cut off (this experience wasn't new, she had already had the first one replaced a few weeks ago). We were prescribed PT 3x a week for 3 weeks, which will take us to the end of her off-track time, which is good, but I am also sorta bummed that it will fill up our time as well.
When Katie earned Student of the Month last month at school she was given a cert. for a free meal at Sizzler...so after the doctor's office we found a near-by Sizzler and enjoyed a nice lunch. I used this time to also call and get our first PT appt. made (Thursday). I will spend some time going over it again with her but expect her to get worked up again, this time I'll be prepared! :)
Underneath her cast her arm was gross...dirty sure but the skin was dry and flaky, everything the cast covered looked goosepimpely and several spots were raw from where the cast had rubbed! :( So once home I put her in the bath and used a foot scrub on her arm to get off all the dead skin off and then a good lotion to moisturize...I'll need to do that a few more times but it already looks better. The arm is still tender and sore so she is still holding like its broken. She can't straighten it quite yet but can move it around some if she is careful. for now she is taking it easy...I'll let the PT be the bad guy and make her move it more! ;) I bought her a new movie as a "treat' for being good today so she is upstairs watching and resting.
The cast has been a pain and PT probably won't be much fun either and I'll probably complain about it some here....but please know that I do understand how very, very lucky I am. She fractured her funny-bone but she doesn't have cancer, or a thousand other FAR more serious childhood ailments and I know that the mom's who deal with those things on a daily basis are HEROS who would roll their eyes at my whining...go ahead you deserve to roll them, really!!!! But I am still gonna whine anyway! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment