Thursday, October 9, 2008

you want what???

My kid asked me for a cell phone the other day...which you might not think is a big deal...but she is SIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I asked her "why do you want a phone?"
Her response "So I can call you during recess when I miss you." (aww..sweet right?)
So I say "You shouldn't be missing me at recess you should be PLAYING!!!!" (ok, I'm not as sweet but seriously recess is fun play time not miss mommy time and trust me she tells me all about her adventures at recess she isn't sitting in the corner sad and lonely, she is just using emotional manipulation to get what she wants, she is a girl afterall! :) So I tell her "no"

A few days later she asks again...
me: "Who in your class has a cell phone"
her: "no one"
me: "then why do you want one"
her: "I saw a 5th grader with one and I want one when I am in 5th grade"
me: "The can we talk about it when you are in 5th grade"!!!!

This girl of mine! I tease her that she is 6 going on 16 and sometimes when I saw "how old are you?"...she says 16 and smiles/laughs.

Why is my sweet beautiful girl trying to always be older then she is? Becasue thats what kids/people do. We all want what we can't have...the recent housing crisis is example enough of that.

So my kid wants a cell phone, she can ask it doesn't hurt anyone, its my answer that matters, and my answer in all things that make her grow up too fast...is NO!!!!!!!! So no my 6 year old will not be getting a cell phone for Christmas. :)

2 comments:

The Cuenca's said...

WOW, the things I get to look forward too!! I am sure mine will be asking here soon too and I will have the same answer! A big fat NOOOO!!! She can play with our old ones until she graduates from college!! HAHA Well maybe not that long!!! Very cute though that she misses you!!

Shandy said...

:) That is so funny! Sigh. The many, many conversations that will be had already exhaust me!