Wednesday, September 29, 2010

The call me SUPERMOM!!!

I did not give myself the title SUPERMOM, no, my daughter's kindergarten teacher (the best teacher on the planet) did! And she gave it to me because when I would come into the classroom to volunteer instead of getting one project done for her I’d get 3 done! Her team teacher, Mrs. Lakin, also benefited from my efficiency and soon they were calling me SUPERMOM. (I’m pretty sure Lakin didn’t know my real name until she added me on facebook :) That was 3 years ago but thanks to facebook, my continuing friendship with the wonderful Ms. Karr, and the loud, cheerful greetings of the wonderful Mrs. Lakin, the nickname has stuck. And let me just go on record as saying I LIKE IT!!!!


When I worked, as a high school English teacher, I had a master teacher, a BTSA teacher, the head of my department, the Vice-Principle and Principal all either stop into my classroom to see how things were going, conferenced with me over what I was or wasn’t doing well in the classroom, gave me tips, tricks, and new ideas and was told “yes your on the right track” or “no you need to redirect yourself” on a regular basis. Now I am a stay-at-home mom and I MISS IT! Not the teaching itself, though I miss that occasionally too, no I miss the feedback! At work you get pats on the back, promotions, raises and praise…and home you get kids screaming at each other, dirty laundry & dishes, and the judgement of strangers. So I have embraced my SUPERMOM nickname. It gives me the pat on the back I need/miss from working outside the house.

BUT, just know I use my nickname with tongue firmly in cheek, there are MANY days I absolutely do NOT deserve the title AT ALL! And I know, I am merely one of MANY supermoms…working moms, single moms, and all the stay at home moms …I know you ALL do everything I do and MUCH, MUCH more and deserve to have someone in your life give you a pat on the back and an awesome nickname too! So go ahead and use mine, I’ll be glad to share it!

I've also changed the name of my blog to The Adventures of Superfamily because it seems more fitting for what is going on in our lives right now then the old title did...and because it will make Ms. Karr & Mrs. Lakin laugh.

No comments: